Levelling with Invasions - even I am doing it (albeit reluctantly)

Xyn thought it would be fun to do invasion levelling as a guild raid group because the invasions were a good time to level a toon.

"That sounds like a good guild event," I said.

Navi's inner voice: "I can't think of anything more boring than levelling a toon by killing demons over and over but since it's a guild event I should show up, being an officer and all."

So we had to find some low level toons. You can do an invasion from level 10 but even at level 1 you can just hang around and dot mobs and get xp from doing... well nothing.

So I turned up a few minutes late on Thursday with some SMS text prompting from HK and Xyn, and there was a surprising number of people online getting ready for this invasion thing. However, they were a LITTLE bit like children.

"When is this thing happening?"
"What's happening? Is there raid today?"
"How do I get into the group?"
"How do I get an invite to the guild invasion group?"
"What's a guild invasion group?"

I suspect Kyxyn was overwhelmed by the numbers and was on his main helping sort it out, despite wanting to be on some scrappy alt levelling.

Navi's inner voice: "And you said this would be fun. I knew it wouldn't be fun."

 He was a little flustered so I told HK about Xyn's whinging concerns, and HK said "Tell him to stop stressing. I'll sort the raid out, he can go get on his alt."

"Why aren't people reading the MotD or listening to what's being said on Discord?" lamented the officers.

Navi's inner voice: "Well, because I normally do the talking and I'm already trying to drum up enthusiasm to level, let alone give instructions on how we're going to level coz I have absolutely NO idea."

So the idea was, that we form the group with the leader entering the Stage 1 invasion and we kill mobs around the main site until Stage 3 invasion. At that point, we would disband the raid, the leader would log out and log back in, and they would get back into a stage 1 invasion. Then everyone just had to whisper "inv" to the leader and they would get autoinvited and then the killing could start again.

Well, there were a few hiccups there.

Navi's inner voice: Are you surprised? You know NOBODY reads MotD and then don't read guild chat, raid chat or listen on Discord so we have to say the same thing about 20 times....

Firstly, there were a few people in the group cross server since their Saurfang slots were full. The "inv" thing wasn't working. Was it Exorsus not working? Xyn was also using another addon - oRA3 - and he thought maybe THAT was doing the invites properly across Battlenet and cross server. It led to a bit of confusion (and a bit of trolling from Ultra) about "What's happening? Why has the raid disbanded? Where did everyone go?"

Navi's inner voice: That bloody troll Ultra. Demoting him to hibernating...

So HK and I both installed oRA3. And the invites still weren't working. THEN we figured out that it was some tickbox we hadn't marked in Exorsus. Once we had that done, it worked. I turned off oRA3 - I'm not like our new guildie Ram, who has 150+ addons running at once. However, I have heard that oRA3 has some option in it to turn guild repairs on and off. That might be useful.

Navi's inner voice: "Well, it would be useful if I remembered to actually turn the repairs on and off..."


But it went smoothly after that and we had a good turnout - there were like 13-15 in the raid on average and people popping in and out. We got good XP, it was more interesting to do it as a group and on Discord because it felt social, and I hoped that everyone who was new was feeling like part of a guild.

"That was fun!" said Xyn at the end of the night. "I think people had a good time."

I had to agree - at least to the second part of Xyn's comment. I probably wouldn't call it "fun" but seeing everyone else enjoying themselves was enjoyable. And I got to be a part of it. I even got some levelling, even though it was only 20 something levels. But levelling is levelling... dull as dog poop. And levelling this way means I'm dirt poor. Imagine getting to 100 and having 0 gold.

Navi's inner voice: "You're an idiot. You should have played your shaman for the pet. You totally did not listen to Tacky did you? Shamans and Demon Hunters have pets in their class halls. Now you have to go do that again."

Well. There are still a few days before Legion. Not like we've got much else to do, right?

Comments

  1. shamans and demon hunters have pets? learn something new every day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In their class halls! There will be a pet for them so I need to be able to do the class hall stuff if I am gonna a be true collector!

      Delete
  2. Hey Navi,

    Anonymous here...aka Lakota.
    I read the MOTD. And Guild chat and definitely raid chat. But I draw the line at Discord.... :P Too many excitable druids in there. ;)
    I know how you feel though regarding leveling. Its a rare occasion where I dont have something better to do on my main.

    Lakota/Lokang

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I had a good chuckle reading that post! Wish I had been on then! I got a couple of low leveltoons on saurfang too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I hope these comments work! Not sure why people can't comment lately, it makes me sad :(