Garrisons Schmarrisons


I freely admit that my eyes glaze over at the word Garrisons.  I see a post or article and I click on it but don't really read it even though I know I should.  I skim through and pick out a couple of words and then think "too hard" and move on.  My whole blogroll is full of garrison talk and I don't know why I have my head in the sand about this subject, but I do.  And the more I hear about it the more I don't want to know about it. Which seems a bit stupid considering expansion is just around the corner.
Remember the Golden Lotus?  When the Vale used to be pretty? As in Pretty FULL of dailies!
Perhaps it's because it sounds so grindy and it's full of dailies.  Who doesn't remember the horrible Golden Lotus grind to open up new rewards - and this is probably an example of me not reading about things and finding out it is nothing like the Golden Lotus grind and that maybe I can have FUN in my garrison.

I remember when I was excited about having my farm and my own place, and I thought garrisons would be like that. I actually watned my garrison to be an unlimited storage place, where I could put things like... my mail, since mailbox is always full and stuff is always being returned.  Or perhaps it would store all my transmog items but an extra tab is being made in Void storage for that.  And now we have toybox so I don't need to store all my toys there anymore.  And I also collect those trinkets that summon minions for you.  What the hell do I do with those?  Toybox is all well and good but I need a trinket box too.  And a tabard closet.

Garrisons also seem to make your game a little self sufficient.  It's like your own little convenience store right in your own home.  Think of it, if you could sit in your chair in front of your computer and never go out and interact with people or the outside world because you grew all your own food and generated all your own electricity and drank your own rainwater.  Actually that sounds rather environmentally friendly, so maybe I should choose a different tack. If you didn't like interacting with people in the game before, I guess you have even less reason to do so now.  Even your followers can go out and do dungeons so you don't have to get off your butt and do it. Cory Stockton said that follower missions can bring you gear and that gear levels with you as you get to 100.  And at max level you can get gear which can bring you LFR level gear.  I suppose that's not so bad - especially since people don't want to do LFR.

But as usual, I'm being obtuse.  Just because I don't know if I like garrisons doesn't mean other people shouldn't.  There are heaps of people who like doing stuff on their own in WoW, and also those who don't have time to group up and do raids, dungeons etc.  All those people who love being self sufficient with their billion alts with all professions would probably love garrisons (though I can't imagine the pain of levelling a garrison on 10 max level toons).  And what does all this stuff do to for gold making, I wonder?  If people are self sufficient, does that mean nobody would buy anything from the Auction house?  And now with joint AH, there's even LESS money to make!  Lucky for me I never made money from the AH anyway, so I won't miss much.  I made my money from dailies. OH WAIT, there are heaps of dailies in the garrisons, maybe I will actually MAKE money for a change!

Inside a Horde Inn or Tavern.  I want to be able to name mine the Pink Elekk.
I'm sure someone out there will enlighten me on the FUN and COOL stuff about Garrisons without me having to wade through the non cool stuff.  Or maybe I'll just wait till I get there and worry about it then.


Comments

  1. Replies
    1. I don't think I will be prepared but I shall happily muddle my way through it!

      Delete
  2. I freely admit to doing the same thing with skimming over the articles about garrisons too! I'm both excited and not excited for them but I don't want to (even if I probably should) try to sit down and figure out my build for them. They sound a lot more complicated and slightly less awesome than I originally envisioned, but I haven't looked at them at all in beta because of not wanting to spoil or wear out the content for myself before it's released so maybe when I actually get to them I'l love them. It's just too early to tell.
    But I'm still not going to try to plot mine out right now. I just can't. I haven't even decided who is going out the gate into Draenor first so how am I supposed to figure out what buildings they're putting into their theoretical garrison. I'm with Tome on this one. I'm not prepared. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so many things to do when WoD hits I am sure Garrisons will fit in there some time.

      Delete
  3. From the beta, I found garrisons are fairly painless and self-explanatory as you level. I don't think that there's an absolute Wrong Choice building, unless you choose the pvp building and you hate pvp.

    If you don't like the buildings you put up, it's easy to tear them down and put something else up in its place. Don't worry. I think you'll like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's a relief. I guess it's like changing talents, costs you money if you keep doing it to much. Thanks for the reassurance!

      Delete
  4. I'm totally with you on this, partly I think because you can't customise them enough. Let us name our inns, pick the pets which wander about etc and I think I'd be much more on board with the whole idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Customisable stuff makes the game so much more personal and your own, I think.

      Delete
  5. I hated the farm, and what (admittedly little) I've seen about Garrisons just seems like the farm on steroids. I'm really hoping to be proven hideously wrong and I fall in love with Garrisons. I just won't hold my breath :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there will be more variety but hey I am no expert I am the ostrich!

      Delete
  6. I felt the same way about garrisons up until this morning, I read a few posts by Godmother and Kam and all of a sudden I can't wait to get in there and play with buildings and followers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to be stubborn about it till I see it in live :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

I hope these comments work! Not sure why people can't comment lately, it makes me sad :(