NPCs in WoW - Comics and cartoons

This post is part of my Celebrities and Personalities as NPCs in WoW series. 

 
Ah the joy of finding all my unfinished drafts!  There are so many Comic and cartoon references in WoW, here are some that I've managed to grab screenies of during my Azeroth travels.

Pixar's UP was not as popular as other Pixar movies, but the beginning of the movie still makes me cry every time I watch it.  If you haven't seen it, it's about an old man who attaches balloons to his house and flies to a far away place.
So very appropriate that in WoW, Carl Goodup (reference to Carl Fredricksen in Up) is a balloon vendor in Darkmoon Faire.
His good wife Ellie, is well and alive here (but she passed away in the opening scenes of the movie - OMG tissue time!!)

Zathanna, wand vendor in Silvermoon, is very likely a reference to the DC comic character Zatanna, the magician, who is a member of the Justice League.  A shame they didn't have her here in her typical tuxedo and fishnets look.

Loguhn is a Wolvar in Dragonblight that you have to kill for part of a quest chain.  Get it?  Wolverine? Wolverine is a Marvel comic character, and a member of the X-Men.  Logan was Wolverine's name, and check out Loguhn's claws.. just like Wolverine's adamantium versions.

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe was a popular cartoon and toy in my youth.  These NPCs could be found in Shattrath during BC but sadly have all been removed.  Pics from Wowhead.


Adam Eternum - obvious reference to Prince Adam of Eternia.

Oric Coe - reference to Orko, whose magic often backfires in the cartoon.

Keldor the lost - a reference to Skeletor (and looks like him too!).  There is heavy implication in the cartoon that Keldor was in fact Skeletor.  Keldor was Prince Adam's uncle, brother to the king.

Winna's Kitten, found in Felwood is the only He-Man reference remaining in game at present!  The green tiger look is just like Cringer, Adam's companion, who becomes Battle Cat when Adam becomes He-Man.  Winna's Kitten is tamable by hunters.

Bambi, a famous Disney cartoon, is about a fawn who grows up to be the King of the Forest, and his adventures as a fawn and as a grown stag.

In Grizzly Hills you can find Bambina (Bambi) with his friends Thudder (reference to Thumper, Bambi's rabbit friend) and Flora (reference to Flower, Bambi's skunk friend), walking with his mother.

This cute easter egg: A hunter comes out and shoots Mother of Bambina and Bambina becomes red and angry and chases down the hunter!


Alfred Copperworth, found in the Purple Parlour in Dalaran, is a reference to Alfred Pennyworth, the butler to Bruce Wayne aka Batman.

The Simpsons is the longest running cartoon (or TV series for that matter) in US history.  The comic was originally created by Matt Groening.  There are only 2 references that I could find:

Groundskeeper Wyllithen in Silvermoon even looks like his namesake, Groundskeeper Willy, the Irish red haired gardener in the Simpsons.  Complete with shovel.


Mayor Quimby's name is exactly the same as in the Simpsons, and he even has the same portly figure.


Negatron is a robot that comes and periodically destroys the rocket in Area 52.  This picture is taken from Döra's Log (known for their Döra the Level 1 WoW Explorer).  Negatron is a throwback to Megatron, the leader of the Decepticons from Transformers.

Heigar the Horrible is a nod to Hägar the Horrible, which is the title and main character of an American comic strip created by cartoonist Dik Browne.

In Dalaran sewers there is a rat with 4 turtles.  Clearly meant to represent the 4 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Donatello, Rafael, Leonardo, Michelangelo) and their Sensei, the rat Splinter.

I would love to hear if there are any I've missed!  Drop me a line or leave a comment :)

Comments

  1. haha you nerd :P. love the tmnt's and the bambi one.

    Falln

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Falln - at least someone appreciates my nerdiness :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Navi! I can be forgiven for not getting some of them. Didn't see Up but I feel pretty stupid that I missed the Loguhn the Wolvar connection or the Alfred Copperworth Batman one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @TotA - I think Alfred one is not that easy since he's up in the Parlour and nobody ever really goes up there. And the Loguhn one, well, I'm sure it's because you're not a total nerd. :)

      Delete
  4. Ha! I love this! I didn't realize half of these existed, great finds! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Euphyley - Thanks! I am totally addicted to looking for pop references in WoW :) If you think this one is nerdy Euph, you should see my Star Trek NPC post!!! :P

      Delete
  5. I recognise a lot of these, but good to see the ones I missed :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew about some of these but not all :D This is great! I love the Up movie by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Cymre @Syrco - I am happy to have nerdified you all! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I hope these comments work! Not sure why people can't comment lately, it makes me sad :(